Ian M. Pendleton Ph. D.
Department of Chemistry
Haverford, PA 19041
ipendlet ~at~ umich.edu
To build and apply molecular simulation tools, machine-learning models and human intuition to the development of new synthetic methodologies, materials, and devices.
Cheminformatics Postdoctoral Fellowship, Haverford College, Haverford, PA, Current
- Advisors: Professor Joshua Schrier and Professor Alex Norquist
- Implemented data capture and reporting pipeline for machine learning in materials chemistry
- Development and implementation of physicochemical descriptors, machine learning models, and active learning systems for extrapolative and exploitive machine learning models of materials formation
- Undergraduate research mentoring
Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2018.
- Advisors: Prof. Paul Zimmerman and Prof. Melanie Sanford
- Thesis title: “Computational Chemistry Studies of Organometallic Energy Landscapes”
- Computational investigation of C(sp3)-N, C(sp2)-C(sp3), C(sp3)-F reductive elimination from Pd(IV)
- Computational chemistry investigations of quantitative structure activity relationship of cobalt catalysts using QChem and Orca for QM calculations and Python (SciKit-Learn, OpenBabel), Unix, PBS, and SLURM for feature development
B.S., Professional Biochemistry, Magna Cum Laude with Highest Honors, Eastern Michigan University, MI, (GPA 3.81/4.00), 2012
- Advisor: Prof. Harriet Lindsay
- Thesis title: “Optimization of the aza-Cope Mannich cyclization reaction of conformationally mobile acylpyrrolidines”
- Li, Z.; Najeeb, M. A.; Alves, L.; Sherman, A.; Parrilla, P. C.; Pendleton, I. M.; Zeller, M.; Schrier, J.; Norquist, A. J.; Chan, E. Robot-Accelerated Perovskite Investigation and Discovery (RAPID): 1. Inverse Temperature Crystallization; preprint; 2019. https://doi.org/10.26434/chemrxiv.10013090.v1.
- Pendleton, I. M.; Cattabriga, G.; Li, Z.; Najeeb, M. A.; Friedler, S. A.; Norquist, A. J.; Chan, E. M.; Schrier, J. Experiment Specification, Capture and Laboratory Automation Technology (ESCALATE): A Software Pipeline for Automated Chemical Experimentation and Data Management. MRS Commun., 2019, 9, 846–859.
- Pendleton, I. M.; Pérez-Temprano, M. H.; Sanford, M. S.; Zimmerman, P. M.: Experimental and Computational Assessment of Reactivity and Mechanism in C(sp3)–N Bond-Forming Reductive Elimination from Palladium(IV). Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 6049–6060.
- Li, M. W.; Pendleton, I. M.; Nett, A. J.; Zimmerman, P. M.: Mechanism for Forming B, C, N, O Rings from NH3BH3 and CO2 via Reaction Discovery Computations. Phys. Chem. A. 2016, 120, 1135–1144.
- Kolopajlo, Lawrence Hugh; Hollisa, Nekuma Korey; Pendleton, Ian. M.: Kinetics of the Reaction between Ni(tetren)2+ and Bipyridine. Journal of Student Research. 2. 39-45.
- Pendleton, Ian. ACS Graduate and Postdoctoral Chemist. The Greater Chemistry Community. 2016, p. 15. http://www.gpchemist.org/graduateandpostdoctoralchemist/july_2016?pg=15#pg15
- Pendleton, Ian. “So, how about a Ph. D?” ACS Undergraduate Blog. (4 Part Series). http://acsundergrad.wordpress.com/2012/06/15/so-how-about-a-ph-d/
ACADEMIC AWARDS AND HONORS
● Karle Symposium Dow Sponsored Travel Award in Inorganic Chemistry, 2016
● Vaughn Symposium Sponsored Travel Award in Organic Chemistry, 2013
● National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2013
● Rackham Merit Fellowship, University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School, 2012
● Division of Organic Chemistry Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (Pfizer Sponsored DOC SURF award), 2011
● ACS Division of Organic Chemistry Sponsored Travel Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Students, 2012
● Eastern Michigan University Honors College Undergraduate Research Fellowship, 2010-2012
Eastern Michigan University Awards:
● Peet-Mayor Endowed Chemistry Award, 2012
● Biochemistry Chemistry Achievement Award, 2012
● Decoster, M “Pete” Endowed Scholarship, 2011
● Collin’s Endowed Scholarship, 2010
● Elwood J. Kureth Scholarship, 2010
● Sandra J. Lobbestael chemistry endowed scholarship for outstanding chemistry major, 2009
● Huron Valley Publishing Scholarship, 2009
● CRC Press Freshman Chemistry Achievement, 2009
● 25th Anniversary Undergraduate Scholarship, 2011
● EMU Undergraduate Research Symposium Fellow, (Fall 2008 – Winter 2012)
● Honors Senior Thesis Award, 2012
● Honors College Undergraduate Research Fellowship, (Fall 2010-Fall 2012)
● College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Dean’s Travel Award, 2011
● Warren Scholarship, 2011
LEADERSHIP AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
● FFGSI (Future Faculty Graduate Student Instructor) for statistical mechanics and thermodynamics , Winter 2017
● ACS Science Coaches Program, 2012-present
● Chemistry Professional Development Organization (CPDO) Member, 2012-present
● Undergraduate Mentoring through UROP 2013-2015
● Washtenaw Elementary Science Olympiad Coach 2016
● President of EMU Chemistry Club ACS Student Chapter, 2010-2012
● Science Fair Judging Morceni High School 2014
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or references.